Friday 26 July 2013

Evolution

As I was getting ready for work this morning, I had to stop and smile. I was suddenly overwhelmed with memories of getting ready for my first date with James. I remember being so nervous as I anxiously decided what to wear and touched up my makeup for the 10th time. I remember smelling every bottle in my perfume collection, struggling to settle on which scent I wanted him to smell on his clothes after we'd parted ways for the night. I remember feeling like I couldn't breathe when I opened my door and saw him waiting for me, arm extended so he could walk me to the car. I remember prompting myself to find a way to memorize his smile and laugh, just in case I'd never see them again. I remember loving him - right from that very first moment - and in finding him, I somehow found myself again.

So as he kissed me goodbye today and I resumed hastily applying my makeup and searching for clean clothes, I was struck by the contrast of those moments. He says he's mine forever now, so I wear less makeup and I throw on yoga pants and a (mostly) clean shirt for our dates. But I still feel my breath catch in my chest when I see him waiting at the front door - our front door - to walk me to the car. Just like that first night.

Our story has evolved but our love is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment